You are hereForums /

Little-Ditty's picture

Australia Day - Friday 26th at 10:00 a.m. - Terrey Hills ride

Hi all,

I intend to have a tour around Terrey Hills on Friday morning at 10:00 a.m.

I am open to suggestions about where to go. But I wanted to try and keep the complexity to a minimum by riding the Perimeter trail, then the Long Trail, and back. We can keep the riskier stuff in the bag until later. Should be about 15 to 20 km and a couple of hours. A nice way to start 3 days off! Smiling

No bans are in place for anyone turning up with an Australian flag.

Meeting place is in the car parking area at Terrey Hills shops.

Hope to see you there. Cheerio!

Liam
0438 885 410

Little-Ditty's picture

Saturday 27th - 8:00 a.m. ride - Oxford Falls

Howdy all,

I am organising a Saturday morning ride (27th) for anyone that is interested. For any of the newer guys, we would probably be riding some bits that include technical or rocky downhill sections.

Of course, all are invited and welcome. Meet at the dirt carpark off Morgan Rd. See you out there!

Liam
0438 885 410

Tanya's picture

Getting to know you....

Below is a preview, click to read the full post

Hi,
Have been checking out the forum for a couple of weeks and finally got around to joining. I have some basic questions if someone wouldn't mind posting some answers. There seem to be a handful of you who know each other quite well and ride together regularly...wondering if beginners are welcome to the rides....or do we just slow you down too much and frustrate the hell out of everyone?

I've been riding Xcountry for about a year but my skills are quite minimal..and I'm recovering from a back injury (white-water kayaking, not biking) so have to take things a little easy. I ride a Kona King Kikapu - so have a decent bike and all the accessories. I've ridden Ourimbah a few times and Majura in Canberra, have only been to Manly Dam once and found there were quite a few bits I had to walk, ditto in Oxford Falls. I'd like to meet some new people to ride with and gain some more skill/nerve. I have heard about cyclinics at St Ives but didn't get a response from my email to them yet. I've also posted a bit on Farkin but seem to be attracting 20-something boys....I'm in my 30s and have noticed it's a little difficult to keep up with a 20 year old boy these days!

Alex's picture

oz day?

anyone planning australia day ride? i was thinking a bit of a peddle through oxford falls or maybe even ourimbah...any takers?

christine's picture

night ride this week?

Hello!
Is anyone up for a night ride either Tuesday or Wednesday evening?
I don't mind where...within reason...

MEE Smiling

kevin's picture

to cleat or not to cleat??

I’m curious about who uses cleats or not and why?

Coming from a road biking background I have continued to use cleats with my mountain bike but have found that whenever I have a stack the cleats have either made it worse or have been part of the cause. Having said that I feel that there are definite benefits such as better pedal grip, transfer of power ..

evan's picture

Dirtworks Classic

For those who may have forgotten or chosen to forget, registrations for the Dirtworks Classic are now open.

Latest News: Latest news here. (http://www.maxadventure.com.au/DirtWorks/News.htm)

Update: (28 Feb). Dirt Works 2007 Sold Out!

Update: (23 Feb). Just over a month and the event is already at 90% capacity. We don't expect the remaining 100 entries to last long, get your entry in today!.

Update: (13 Feb). Apparantly there are already 700 entries in and these are limited by NPWS to 1000 riders. Get in quick:

http://www.maxadventure.com.au/DirtWorks/Entry.htm

Poll: What distance are you doing? As per a request.

kevin's picture

help! hill climb

I am having problems with inclines. Whenever I attempt a hill climb I get underway then very quickly seem to lose traction resulting in my back wheel spinning, losing my balance and a long walk to the crest. This always seems to happen on heart break hill at Manly damn.
I am riding a Giant Reign 2. My tire pressures are approximately 36-40psi and I have tried it with my front suspension locked or open.
Any ideas or technique suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alex's picture

sat 20th oxford/red hill/cascades 4pm

well, if anyone feels like an arvo ride at 4pm im gonna hit one of these trails for a peddle..pref cascades, but i dont mind red hill or oxford either..

davis_jnr's picture

Hydration is Key!

All of you budding riders planing on riding this weekend be carefull of the impending heat.

My suggestion is to hydrate well the night before you ride as well as drinking plenty of fluids on your respective rides.

De-hydration is not something we like dealing with during or after a ride, look out for the tell tale signs of dehydration;

Thirst
Loss of appetite
Dry skin
Flushing
Dark colored urine
Dry mouth / Cotton mouth
Fatigue / Weakness
Chills
Head rushes

If you continue to ignore the following signs may become apparent;

Increased heart rate
Increased respiration

Bernd's picture

Sunday morning ride

Sunday morning ...6-30am...yes
Manly Dam, any takers, it will be a hot day!
Bernd

Matt's picture

Sat STXC

On again this Saturday:

http://www.mwmtb.com/

Hope to see some of you there, assuming my bad back holds up, getting 'kin old. Beats watching cricket anyway.

Ta,
Matt.

Little-Ditty's picture

MTB tricks

Hey all,

I thought I would share this video I found on YouTube (for any one with broadband). Enjoy! Laughing out loud

http://youtu.be/KXZRWVp8Me8

NB - don't any of these people have jobs?

Chris's picture

Manly Dam Sunday 21st Afternoon ride

Anyone interested in a Sunday Afternoon lap around the Dam.

When: 6:00pm (meet at 5:45pm)

Where Manly Dam-
Meeting point:
King Street, Manly Vale Outside the hydraulics Lab.

The pace of the ride will be nowhere near the hot laps, more in the order of around an hour.

See you there.

Chris

Bernd's picture

Wed ride...

Hi,
Wed morning ride, before work!
6-45am for a 7-00am start!
Morgan Rd. or Manly...
please let me know if I should wait for someone.
Bernd 0412 001180.

christine's picture

death adder at Terrey Hills

Yesterday at 6am-ish my sister was running along the Perimeter Trail at Terrey Hills and came across a Death Adder!!!
Thought it was worth mentioning...they are the ninth most deadliest snake in the world... here is a link to see what they look like...not long at all.
http://www.usq.edu.au/users/weppner/dangerous/de...

Alex's picture

sat 20th ourimbah not too early! or somewhere of equal coolness :)

anyone keen for a semi monster ride somewhere like ourimbah next sat? im thinking not too early morning.. maybe even an early arvo ride?

pikey's picture

Training Session "PROPOSAL" Rollovers / Jumps

Anybody interested in joining me on one of my rollover / jump training sessions?

I use a local, for me, place called Hews Reserve, its on Hews Pde Belrose.

The level of height difficulty ranges from a gutter, milk crate, car bonnet to car roof (if that at all helps!)
The beauty of this place is the flat grass take off offering a landing on gentle downward slopping grass to absorb either your tyres or.....you.

If I get interest we can work out a date.

I will post two pics for Rob to put up. Pics:

Stuart M's picture

Tuesday Night Ride

This Tuesday night, start time about 7.15 - 7.30

Where, well I'm going to throw up the usual Terry Hills but could be talked into variations there of, ie Duck Holes etc, if people think these are appropriate night rides with our general level of illumination.

Let the masses speak

4lex's picture

Manly damn.... that's too early :) Sunday PM anyone?

So it seems I must've been living in a cave to not know about the Manly Dam circuit. Glad to have found this site, and that ride - am going to go tomorrow PM. Anyone else not good at early mornings keen for that?

Rob's picture

Crazy, crazy!

You have got to be joking! Pics from:

http://www.declinemagazine.com/Nucleus/COMMUNITY.php?itemid=161

Sorry, here:

http://www.hansrey.com/latestadventures.htm (which is sure to change)

Rob's picture

CORC good stuff

This popped up on the MTB-OZ list today, thought it was too good not to share:

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/flashgordon1/...

Dig around a bit and you'll come across stuff like this:

This is work CORC have been doing. Would love to see it emulated here.

Oh, OK, while we're talking about this, Stromlo Forest Park is also worth a look.

flobach's picture

Saturday ride anyone?

Hi!

was thinking of heading up to the North Shore area to hit some trails on Saturday - anyone care to join?

Flo

beyondkiu's picture

Lane Cove / Sth Turamurra

Been there once..... Quite a good ride with a mixture of firetrail and a section of single track.

Meet at the end of Canoon Road, off Kissing Point Road. There are netball courts and tennis courts so parking is not a problem.

Once entered the area, there are series of firetrails within the area which extends as far as Pennant Hills and Wahroonga.

Little-Ditty's picture

Manly Dam ride on Sunday?

Hi all,

Not sure what shape we will be in from our expedition at Ourimbah on Saturday. But I had heard rumblings of a Manly Dam ride on Sunday. Ack, my last day of holidays!! : (

So before other rides get organised, is anyone else interested in a Sunday ride? In order to cater for those "under the thumb", should we meet in the lower car park for an 8:00 a.m. start?

Hope to see you there.

Cheers!

Best Mountain Bike