You are hereForums /

Rob's picture

Sat 1 July - Arvo?

Hi, anyone up for something on Saturday arvo?

I see some guys have taken to riding in the afternoon, and to be honest this looks like a good plan this week - I need to catch up on my beauty sleep Eye-wink

Don't care where, but if Cascades is the target wouldn't mind going and looking for the DH track discussed here:

http://nobmob.com/rides/cascades#comment-293

mitch_f1's picture

Next training day @ St Ives showground?

Hey
Been thinking. The moto-x park at the showground is open to everyone, and it is an excellent place to hone biking skills; it has the teeter-toter, jumps, rocky decents, fast corners, slow corners, and the short x-country course which is short but sweet. It would be great for timed laps (there is 2 courses and many variations of each to use) and practise in some of the more basic skills, and just general fun jumping and speeding.

Just putting it foward.

Mitch

Heckler's picture

Sun 25th EAST Terry Hills

Meet at Terry Hills shops 1:00pm
This ride consists of a new trail as well as Duck Ponds & Central Trails to form a loop
of sorts.
Time to stretch the legs after the rain!

C U There
Jeff

Stuart M's picture

Yellowmundee Saturday 24th June

Below is a preview, click to read the full post

Given the amount of rain we have had over the last couple of weeks and the amount forecast to fall between now and the weekend, particularly along the coast, I was thinking of heading inland a little to ride at Yellowmunde this Saturday. It is located at the foot of the mountains, roughly half way between Penrith and Richmond but on the other side of the river. For directions go to http://www.wsmtb.com/xc.shtml Should be alot drier than anything we have on offer at the moment.

Please note this is a tentative ride only at the moment. WSMTB are holding an 8hr event there the following weekend and I have sent them an e-mail to check that the trails are open and not closed for maintenance in prep for the following weekend.

Rob's picture

Day trip to Ourimbah?

Here's a coincidence... (or is it?):

Our poll about days away now has Ourimbah as a leader, and as luck would have it, everyone's favourite mapping tool now has hi-res pictures of the area. As such, I slapped together a couple of rough maps:

Ourimbah Overview - shows the whole area.
Ourimbah Downhill - shows that small area in the north with all the good stuff.

This was mostly done from investigation on topo maps, and it looks although a couple of healthy circuits can be made to compliment the downhill fun we all know is in here someplace.

Bernd's picture

Thanks Rob

Thanks, for puting the pic's on the page so fast.
We had a good day on Sunday.
Bernd

mitch_f1's picture

Sat 24th Cascades?

Hey
Just wondering if anyone was up to a ride on the 24th.

Starting @ 8:30am from Douglas St entry. I'm open to suggestions as to routes to take.

Weather permitting (it hasn't so far :S) I will bring my camera.

Mitch

craigs's picture

Saturday 17th ride - Anyone?

Anyone up for a Saturday morning ride?
Dont care which of the usual spots just call me by 8am....

Craig 0402896808

Rob's picture

Great Rides?

This site was featured in SMH yesterday:

http://www.greatrides.com.au/

Mostly down South, and road based by the looks, but looks like it might be a nice easy ride if you have a week or so to kill Eye-wink

pikey's picture

Technical Training Day, Red Hill (Session II)

Sun 18th June 2006 8:30am (Carpark) Lady Penrhyn Drive, Beacon Hill.

Subject: Slow and easy!

Could anybody with a digital video camera please bring it along as we need to improve the quality of our collective teaching and action shots.

Thanks

Greg (Pikey)
0431 703 266

Rob's picture

NSW State Forests

Just stumbled across this rather useful page on the Forests NSW site maybe worth sharing:

http://www.forest.nsw.gov.au/recreation/default.asp

In particular, check out this flyer on MTB trails they have going on down south, looks nicely organised and would like to see more of this:

http://www.forest.nsw.gov.au/recreation/bondi/mo...

I was actually looking for details on Awaba State Forest after seeing that Amazon Run vid on the BA site. Looks rather cool and see they had some NSW DH state championships there last year (10/7/2005). Anyhow, Awaba, it turns out is NE of Watagans NP off the Sydney/Newcastle freeway, perhaps another hour north of Ourimbah.

christine's picture

help wanted

hello,
if anyone out there is feeling particularly patient, has a sense of humour and a spare hour over the weekend i was wondering if they would be at all interested in teaching me some techinical stuff on my bike...it's a hardtail which i have only had a week!
i am leaving work now but my mobile number is 0414 534 141
hope everyone has a great weekend and a fabulous trip to Justin and Liz.

christine

Rob's picture

Sat 10th - Something short

Given the plan (totally disconnected from Greg's crazy suggestion) I have for Sunday not up for a long ride on Saturday either.

Would be interested in doing something short and given it's meant to be quick, start at 9am as time won't be an issue. At the moment I have Morgan Road (Little Moab + XC + maybe Moon Rocks) in mind, although could be talked into a lap of the Dam.

Will be at the usual Morgan Road meeting point 9am then. Drop a reply or I won't be waiting around for anyone.

Won't be out if it's raining.

Rob

pikey's picture

This long weekend rides

This weekend I need at least one long (low impact) ride.

I would like to suggest a local trip along these lines.

1. Start (park car) end of Wyatt Ave, Belrose, at power grid station entrance.
2. Head all the way past the nice big isolated house to the technical drop at the far western end of the newly proposed council netball courts (Grrr!).
3. Continue through Cascades north up to and through the tip.
4. Travel thought the tip all the way past St Ives Showground via Mona Vale Rd to the Terry Hills shops.
5. Complete all possible Terry Hills tracks.
6. Then head down to Duck Ponds and back onto Mona Vale Rd.

goatman's picture

DH track on the St Ives side

There is also an excellent DH single track starting at the top of the St Ives side. You can see where it joins the fire road (Upper Cascades) just after the junction with the upper Cambourne track when you are heading towards St Ives. It continues downward from there via 2 different STs that join up further down and come out onto the Cascades track. You will see the enrance to these on the left hand side of the Cascades track opposite the ST on the right hand side as mentioned previously.

christine's picture

manly dam

On Saturday afternoon - about 3pm at King Street there is a group of us going to ride at Manly Dam - this will be a very social ride if anyone wants to come along...Will, who will be our intrepid guide is 'pretty sure when he gets there will remember the track he is planning'...there will be all levels of riders going - very excitingly i will be on my new bike (as of tonight when i pick it up) so will be with suspension...YEAYYYY!!!

lizzoi's picture

Sat 3rd June Cascades anyone?

I would like to do Cascades this coming Saturday morning ... can start at Douglas St, Ralston, Wyatt.. whatever works... I don't want to start before 9am though as it's too cold... bbbrrrrr... any takers?
Liz

lizzoi's picture

Sun 4th June 9am Duck Hole and Centre Track

I am keen to do Terry Hills Shops to Duck Hole and back along the Centre Track this Sunday... I will need a navigator though as I am not sure of the route although I did it once from CHurch Point with RoB... any takers? Rob?
Liz

celia's picture

Sparrows toot ride on saturday 3rd?

Is anyone interested in checking out the Warratah Trail on Sat at 7am? Done by 9am.
It's off West Head Road, the trail on the left before the Salvation loop. Its an out and back of mostly firetrail and some sections single track. Intermediate level technical (so I'm told) so all rideable. Views are reputed to be great and at that time, there should be a few animals to spot too.
Celia

Justin's picture

Mountain Devils 6 Hr - June long weekend

Hi all,

Just got this email from Mountain Devils - I'll be away, otherwise would probably go for it - would be very much like a one day polaris challenge, loads of fun, remember it takes a lot of practice so if you are keen to start getting into MTB orienteering (e.g. Polaris) then this would be the event to do:

Uncle Sam needs you ...

Well, maybe not ... but Mountain Devils sure does.

Entries for the MDN 6Hr MTB Orienteering on the June Long Weekend are well below expectations. We need to get a lot more entries over the next week if we are to run the event.

As a reminder, the event is a pointscore event in native forest just south of Taree on the mid-north coast. The event area is huge, with the purpose made map covering 2 x A3 sheets on an scale of 1:25,000 - almost 4 times the area of our usual event maps. You will get a chance to ride on some great trails in State Forest and National Park (which are normally closed to events like this).

----------- and from the entry form -------------------

"A 6 Hr pointscore/cyclegaine event on mountain bikes in State Forest and National Park
on the NSW Mid-North Coast. This large area just south of Taree is mostly native forest with an extensive track network. The terrain is varied. Expect some challenging climbs and fast flowing downhills. Ideal training for Polaris, adventure racing and rogaining"

$30.00 per rider
Mountain Devils home page / OZ MTB-O homepage

pikey's picture

Home made riding lights

For those who are planning on building themselves a set of riding lights here is a handy site to gain a bit of info.

http://www.australianoutdoors.com/how%20to%20vol...

I've ridden Cascades twice and Manly Dam once with my home made 50 watt light (see photo's in the equipment section), so if anyone is up for a night ride midweek let us know.

Thursdays and Fridays are no good for me

Pikey

lizzoi's picture

Sunday 28th Terry Hill 9.00am

Justin and I will be doing Terry Hills on Sunday... Will be doing the Perimeter Trail and the Long Track and return (about 2 hours) if anyone wants to join us. Meet at the Terry Hills shops.
Liz

mitch_f1's picture

Mud bash-Cascades???

Hey
There is rain forecast for the weekend (finally), and I need to get out of the house. So, I propose a mud bash at the cascades. I'll be riding from about 8:30 on Saturday, starting at douglas st entry (the firetrail, not single trail), heading straight down, turning down bear creek, up to the power station, then i'll be going back same way, and up lower camborne, but if who ever comes wants to go down the downhill section (as it is labelled), that is totally fine with me.

look foward to seeing someone there.

Mitch
P.S. it'll go ahead rain, hail, or shine. (maybe not hail though)

ljewell's picture

New bike path proposed for Kent st in the City

Thought this might interest some people who commute into the city:

The following is sent to you for your general information on the problems facing cycling and triathlon in NSW

This incentive allows a great advocacy opportunity and it will only take a few minutes of your time. That time however could / will make a whole lot of difference for the whole population for a very long time ... for details of what, why, how and by when read the rest of the information on this email ...

As a cyclist most of you will apprecitate a moment to lend your support to this fantastic, health-promoting infrastructure project, and circulate it to others who could do the same.

Rob's picture

Sun 21 - Manly Dam

There is also a tentative ride planned on Sunday at Manly Dam for the usual fun:

Where: Manly Dam. Meet corner of King/Arana, Manly Vale
When: 8:30am, Sun 21 May.

I think Justin is going here for sure, but I'm a tentative at this point.

Best Mountain Bike