Anyone able to attend council meeting tomorrow?
If you take a look at the council agenda for tomorrow...
... you'll see that 12.2 is a motion to 'Reinstatement of Manly Dam Mountain Bike Track Volunteer Days'.
This is a great move, but... there are rumours circulating that something bad regarding the dam is going to be discussed.
I know this will be boring as watching paint dry, but if anyone local is able to attend this meeting and report back it would be much appreciated.
Update: Actually, it would be even better if someone could attend and speak in support of this motion. Speakers have to register by 3pm today by calling 9942 2737. The meeting is 6pm to 10pm and speakers talk for 3 minutes at the beginning of the meeting. If anyone would like to speak please mention:
- Bike riders have been using the circuit without incident for many years (since the 90's at least).
- Riders have a vested interest in protecting and enhancing the environment.
- The cycling community is responsible (point to our trail status and education of people on forums, etc).
- By allowing volunteer maintainence riders are invested in the trails they ride and thus more likely to respect them.
- When volunteer days were run they were always popular and went very well with great outcomes for the track.
- Other user groups (eg. Bush Regen.) are able to supply volunteer labour so why cannot bike riders?
- It is a worry that without proper maintenance the trail could become degraded. As Manly Dam is the only legal single track in the area it's important that the trail remain open and well maintained.
- Volunteer maintenance of the trails at the Dam should be allowed now and in the future, irrespective of the layout and length trails take at the time.